I Wish You the Happy Christmas & Prosperous New Year

Tuesday 20 November 2012

People Get Ready

As I write this, it is early afternoon the last day of the month. In my car is a postcard from the State Department of Motor Vehicles telling me I need to renew the license on my car. As of now, I have three hours to get it done. Just this morning I told my boss I would have to leave a couple hours early today to get to the DMV on time.

I've had plenty of time to license my car. With a little bit of planning, I might have been able to work ahead a bit and take a whole day off instead of just an hour or two. (I won't mention that the deadline for this Bible study is today!)

As much as my procrastination annoys and frustrates me (and others!), I'm thankful that God lets it bug me because there's a very important inflexible deadline coming up that I want to be ready for.

Receive
Matthew 25 describes this future "deadline": "'When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats'" (Matthew 25:31-32, ESV).

In verses 35-36, Jesus tells us the criteria He uses in separating the sheep from the goats. The sheep:

  • gave Him food when He was hungry
  • gave Him drink when He was thirsty
  • welcomed Him when He was a stranger
  • clothed Him when He had no clothes
  • visited Him when He was sick
  • came to Him when He was in prison.

The goats did none of these things (vv. 42-43). But here's the important part: Both groups were surprised at God's judgment!

  1. What does the surprise of the sheep reveal about their hearts?
  2. What does the surprise of the goats reveal about their hearts?

That Day of Judgment hasn't come yet, but it will. When it does, it will be too late to ask for any second chances. There will be no bargaining with God and no extensions given.

  • In light of this, why do you think God has chosen not to tell us when He will return?

Reflect
Do you live each day as if it were your last? When many people ask that question, they're wondering if you're embracing every opportunity each day provides. For the Christian, that question carries an extra dimension. Are you embracing the opportunities to serve that God brings your way? What if God were to return today? What would He find you doing?

Respond
As you read about the sheep and the goats, be careful not to get the impression that salvation is based on works alone--it's not. Salvation is by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ--our works have nothing to do with it. See Ephesians 2:8-9 for Paul's emphatic statement about this. But while you're there, read the next verse too: "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:10, ESV).

If you've accepted Christ into your life, congratulations, you've made the most important decision you'll ever make--you will be one of the sheep on the final day. But don't let it stop there. Seek out new ways each day to express your love and commitment to God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment